Friday, July 1, 2011

Welcome to the Burning River Sports Blog

Hello World

Many of my friends have urged me to start a sports blog.  So I have finally given in and have taken the dive into the world of blogging.  This blog is going to be based on Cleveland and Ohio State sports although I will dabble in anything that has to do with the great city of Cleveland from time to time.  I may even go off on tangents regarding dogs and other animals since I do love my furry friends.  Most of all I hope to entertain anyone that takes the few minutes to read my posts and give them insight into the twisted mind of someone that is passionate about Cleveland sports and the city itself.  The 216, the place where our river once burned (hence the blog name), home of the Browns, Indians, Cavs, Monsters, Michael Symon, good food, the Rock Hall, and Cleveland Orchestra.  Home of great sports history, past championships, sports misery, and some of the absolute best FANS anywhere in the world.  You either love it or hate it in the 216 and as The Darkness once said... I believe in a thing called love...

If I stick with this blog I hope that I can take you on a wild ride of insight and emotion.  From the joys of things like getting to the 2007 NBA Finals to the lows of blowing a 3-1 lead to Boston in the 2007 ALCS.  I will most likely do a few retro blogs to give you a sense of the person I am and what I have witnessed in this city over the past 30 years.  I may go off on profanity laden rants when drunk or angry.  I may talk about loving puppies.  Who knows.  I'm hoping the randomness and spontaneity of it all will make it interesting for you. 

A little about myself..... Like I said I am almost 30.  Birthday coming up in August (Leo!).  I have a wife (newly married, 4/30) and a great Siberian Husky.  Outside of living and dying with Cleveland sports I enjoy playing computer/video games (Nerd!!), playing poker (Tilt!), enjoying a libation or 10 (Lush!), playing fantasy sports, playing volleyball, softball, flag football (West 14th League / Cleveland Plays!), and eating the good food CLE has to offer (Fatty!).  You will probably end up reading a post on one or all of these topics over time.

For now though I will leave you with just a taste of the sports mind I have.  If anyone is actually reading this I'm sure you have heard or seen one of the new Cleveland Indians commercials for this season.  Whether it be the Established in 1901 ads or the "What If" ads.  Every time those commercials come on the TV or Radio I tell my wife to stop talking, my dog to stop barking, and I just turn up the volume a little bit.  I sit and I listen to every word.... to every description.  What if 1948 never happened.... what if we never knew a guy named Robert Feller... what if Larry Doby wasn't strong and we as a city didn't embrace....what if Len wasn't perfect on a dreary CLE night in 1981...what if the 90s were just the 90s....and there was no magic in the air at the Jake.  I picture in my mind each one of those moments whether I was alive or not.  I picture being at the Jake for numerous walk off home runs.  I remember high fiving random strangers as a teenager and jumping in piles of happy people on the grassy knoll between the Q and The Jake as Albert Belle blasted walk-off game winners.  I can hear Tom Hamilton's voice as he makes home run calls (A swing and a drive! waaaayyyy back... GONE!).  I remember setting up a make shift JoBu shrine out of one of those weird troll dolls, a Cory Snyder Starting Lineup figure, and some of my parents rum in 95 and praying to it every night.  I remember our improbable run in 2007 and I as I recall all of these things the hair on my arm stands up a little straighter, my heart beats a little faster, and my hope grows for a Cleveland championship a little more each and every time those commercials come on.  I normally pound the dash a little or the couch and whisper every so slightly.... What If?

What if will happen someday.  For me.  For my friends.  For my city.  Hopefully Ill be able to share that moment with all of you.

Welcome to Burning River Sports Blog.  Enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment